Sale or Purchase of Assets
In any financial cycle, liquidity changes mean that there are occasional needs to buy or sell loan assets. CBSS supports this in several ways.
Our Asset Disposition Group includes loan trading professionals as well as specialists in real estate, equipment, and aircraft, who have the expertise to evaluate, negotiate, structure, and close what are often complex transactions.
Depending on the capital and timing needs of your institution, it can make most sense to seek out institutional investors able to close quickly and purchase entire portfolios. However, when time constraints allow, we may be able to maximize your institution’s proceeds by locating an end user for “one-off” sales. Often we work with professionals from within your own community to accomplish this.
In all cases, we present your institution with its options so you make the final decision. Our asset disposition resources include:
- Direct relationships with investors
- Loan trading professionals
- Network of real estate sales professionals
- Equipment and aircraft specialists
- Specialists in auto and credit portfolios
- Real estate and equipment auction services
Loan Trading Platforms
CBSS has partnered with two powerful sales platforms, each with its own unique features.
- Radius Trak—besides being a powerful asset management tool, it also gives investors access to community bank properties, as they appear on a comprehensive, nationwide database. It also contains a link to the bank’s web site where bank-owned properties are listed, or for banks without a property for sale site; it provides banks with their own branded “Properties for Sale” section of Radius Trak’s site. A new feature is being developed that would allow investors to create bulk purchases, or pool assets from among listed properties.
- UPLEX Global is a loan trading platform designed to support the normal cyclical needs of community banks and credit unions, whether buying or selling. Its sophisticated and secure auction technology allows you to list your assets with no subscription fee. If you’re in the market to purchase, simply register to get free access to a variety of performing and non-performing loans. At time of sale, the secure, efficient technology helps make our transaction fees some of the lowest in the industry. Using an active, sealed-bid auction system, sellers can entertain countless offers on a single asset and buyers know that an open market helps determine actual values.
Craig Sherman — Distressed Assets Trading Specialist
Mr. Sherman has been in the distressed debt space since 1985, beginning his career in SAG and REO management. He has provided strategic consulting, valuation and FAS 5, FAS 14 analysis for national and local lenders and special servicers. He has evaluated CMBS and participations, performing due diligence, Derived Investment Value (DIV) – FASB 114 analysis and loan sale packaging. A speaker at various conferences on note sales and distressed debt, he has been described as the “Best in the World” at analysis and “Best in his Class” in disposition of distressed debt across United States, Europe & Asia, with a total worldwide NPL experience exceeding $90billion in face value. “Hands on”, whether working with single assets or portfolios, he has also lead teams of over 20, creating Excel models to analyze all types of real estate and capital structures.
Some of Mr. Sherman’s career highlights include: Assisting in the valuation and debt restructuring of 8 national homebuilders, with a total inventory of 87,000 homes and lots; performing acquisition due diligence on 970 properties, $2.5 billion value in Sweden for Morgan Stanley and GE Commercial Real Estate Services; member of FSLIC Management Consignment Program team that took control of failed thrifts; led due diligence, assisted in deal strategy and interacted with partners in the acquisition of 2 REITs with an enterprise value in excess of $1.5 billion.
William E. Shelton, IV – Government Guarantee Loan Specialist
Nationally known SBA and USDA government guaranteed loan expert, he has extensive expertise in fixed income securities and mortgage loan products. He has assisted many institutions in the due-diligence process to structure loan products for the secondary market, maximizing fee income and servicing spreads while managing institutional regulatory and risk tolerance levels. Prior to operating his own company he was Senior Vice President, Vining Sparks, IBG, a leading broker/dealer serving the investment needs of institutional investors. He maintains NASD Series 7 & 63, is licensed with the Tennessee Division of Securities, and is a member of the National Association of Securities Dealers.
Corey Schneider, CCIM, ALC, Commercial Real Estate Specialist.
Corey has over 30 years of experience in real estate, is licensed in five states, is a Certified General Real Estate Appraiser holds a BBA in Real Estate and a Petroleum Land Management Certificate. He is an investor and has developed major commercial projects. Corey is well qualified to coordinate with our real estate partners throughout the country to locate end-users for one-off real estate sales.
John Harris, Equipment and Business Specialist
One of CBSS’ early organizers, Mr. Harris holds a certified general appraisal license in several states and has over 30 years of experience in Business, Real Estate, and Machinery/Equipment valuation and brokerage. He has been a member of the World Trade Center, having performed services for the Mexican and Venezuelan governments, as well as Ford, GM, Fiat, GE, Pizza Hut, Boeing, Cessna, Hawker Beechcraft, Lear Jet, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC), and the U.S. Small Business Administration. Mr. Harris has trained over 400 appraisers in 45 states and internationally, teaches appraisal technique for several national organizations and serves nationally as an arbitrator in business disputes for the American Arbitration Association. He is a member and contributing guest speaker of the International Business Brokers Association (IBBA) and the Institute of Certified Business Counselors (ICBC). He is one of the few holders of the ICBC Master Certified Business Counselor designation and is also certified by the Alliance of Mergers & Acquisition Advisors. He holds an MBA degree and has owned several successful businesses.
Steve Hartin, Aircraft Specialist.
Mr. Hartin has over 40 years of industry experience and provides professional, discreet sales and valuation expertise for personal and corporate aircraft. His experience working for CIT Group makes him thoroughly familiar with aircraft financing.
Often liquidation of assets is related to bank capitalization. Our relationships with capital sources allow us to assist with both sides of this equation. There are solutions available from:
- Capital market professionals with many years experience capitalizing institutions
- Teams who have enjoyed successes with recently built bank capitalization models
- M & A options in cases where a sale or merger may be the best option
Our capitalization team has relationships with several capital sources and is prepared to assist institutions in determining the best alternative from among available options. Feel free to call us to arrange for an interview with a bank capitalization specialist.